Pages

Wednesday 22 July 2009

Stats Update

Stats are pretty poor for the last few months. I started out this year with some pretty good intentions but things got in the way. I still keep my daily stats and monthly totals. So far, they're not very impressive: (note that these figure are for new fiction only, and don't include editing, which is a pretty lame excuse, but here we go...)

Jan: 17,795
Feb: 11,500
March: 1,800 (oh dear - editing Shingle)
April: 6,000 (a little better, but still low)
May: 0 - nothing - ziltch (I blame my laptop breaking!!!)
June: 4,300 (no excuse)

Actually, I do have a bit of an excuse for June. With two manuscripts out there I wanted to rest for a bit and decide what to do next. I've been toying with ideas for adult fiction for a while, probably because I read a lot of adult fiction and my first novel, The Devil's Prayer, kind of hovers between YA and Adult.

However, to give me a break from the moody subjects of DP and Shingle, I started something earlier in the year based on a sketch. Morbello is about a thief who kidnaps a human kid in order to sell him to clear his debts. He just doesn't count that the kid is just as sly and as clever as he is.

What's nice about this project is that I have absolutely no idea where it is going. With Shingle I spent weeks on plot alone. Writing without a clue is uncharted territory for me and so far, quite surprising and fun.

I'm hoping this will improve my stats for July. Over the past four days I've averaged 1,000 words per day. If I keep it up, even though we're in the middle of the month, I might hit my monthly target for the first time since January.

2 comments:

Administrator said...

I haven't written anything for a few weeks now, Colin, as i feel in limbo whilst i sub my wip. And next there are the school holidays...

That's the good thing about blogging, you can kid yourself you're keeping your hand in!

Colin said...

I've had to really force the words out this morning. Sat down, eventually turned browser and email off and typed like a robot. Managed 400 words. It isn't brilliant, but it does move things along, and it is stuff that I can edit when I come back at the end of this draft. WIP so far at 9,000 words.